Sunday, December 9, 2012

Market Prices

Random rant post about local prices. Wall of text alert.


There's been some talk about eBay 'flippers' on the forums and Facebook groups recently after the Johan incident. A number of folks were unhappy that they, the collectors, missed it, while the profiteers a.k.a. flippers, got their grubby mitts on it and were reselling it for high prices.

There's a lot I could say about the dynamics of that, but I digress. Just found it coincidental that I made my way down to the local toy collector hub today to find discover how badly I've been scammed the first and last time I bought from a shop. The so called 'tuition fees' I paid when getting into this whole hobby. Yeah, I'm still paying them occasionally, but hopefully at not so high a price.

The local hub is full of toy stores and flea market stalls as well, although the ones with 3A toys that I spotted were all in the shops. In one of the first few shops I entered, I saw the same guy who sold me my Bramble MK 3 in another shop. So apparently he owns two to three shops!

The ironic part is, the price tag on the Bramble in this shop was a good $50 cheaper! I'm not sure if the prices are fixed, but that thought alone made me sick. Yeah, I understand that local stores have to pay rent, so they mark up prices a bit, but the difference is ridiculous here.

Yet, this sucker has three stores at least, that means people are buying and they are actually doing pretty well. I'm really dumbfounded when I see these kind of businesses. Are we locals that gullible or that rich? It only took me a short while to realise I was paying over the top prices at local stores, so surely the rest would too? Or perhaps it's only the 3A toys that were jacked up, but the rest of their toys were reasonable? I have no idea, although their Gundam prices, something I'm familiar with, were no better.

I've heard from another collector that local collectors set their prices high in hopes of snaring newbie collectors entering the hobby. I find that thought really sad. Profiteering by taking advantage of others. And it's apparent when you look at eBay. There's a great disparity between the prices for the same items. There are some local collectors who price their items double of others! Either they don't do market research or they don't care, knowing that once the cheaper ones get snagged, buyers are left with the super expensive one again.

Back to the local stores. The rest of the stores had pretty much standardised pricing on their items, maybe a different of $10-20 max. Some were reasonable, some were a little over the top, especially for limited items. That said, none were within a price range I could stomach. I had a number of decent deals from friendly collectors, so I managed to get quite a bit at retail cost or just slightly more. Maybe I was just lucky.

When it comes down to it though, it's all about greed. Would I price my item for as high as possible when I sell them? Perhaps. But most times I price my items to move, not to rip people off. With the current 3A climate, perhaps trades might be a better idea than buying and selling. Something I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Most of the times it's really just business... and if you can see it that way, maybe you'll be less frustrated (",) At shops, it is their livelihood and to maximize profits is just natural.

    Of course, we can also say F that, where's the integrity in the toy industry? But I find that'll usually get us nowhere.

    A lot of times when it comes to toy collecting, I'd rather rely on friends rather than any other businesses like 'bay of CSC... Many times a good friend and ex-classmate of mine has sold me things at cost, and recently, he even covered me with an extra EMGY DC1.5 that I missed out looking after my newborn. Soon in life bigger things are going to take over, and my mindset with secret drops have changed from "must have - emo" to "nice to have - chill". I'm happy my friend got me covered, but if not, I probably won't be too upset too. That said, when the roles are reversed, I'll almost surely help out this buddy of mine.

    Friends aside, I've met a couple of rare folks out there who sold me stuff at 3AA cost too, so there are like-minded individuals out there. Sometimes when it comes to secret drops, I think to myself if I should just buy a couple and sell the extra away at cost to help another collector out there. It is a good way to beat the system.

    For 3A I must admit I haven't done that yet, but for a couple of TFs that were swept off the shelves from local dept stores by scalpers, I managed to get a few more and sell them at cost. Of course, I might've sold them to scalpers :)

    Paying it forward might sound stupid to most, but I was happy for doing it that couple of times thinking I helped someone.

    Anyway, your rants are not without basis and it is a common frustration for us all, especially when it comes to 3A. But things are looking better and you'll notice at BSTs, most stuff are moving at cost or even lower. The market might just be saturated with scalpers already, and 3A stuff just isn't fetching the profit it commanded yesterday.

    Hang in there. Enjoy your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. Your reviews are really helpful in my decision making for the figs!

      Yeah, I know it's business, but there's reasonable and there's unreasonable to me. Maybe I've yet to figure out the balance between fleecing customers vs retaining customers, but that's why I'm not a businessman.

      As for scalpers, well, I'm lucky so far that a few great guys on BST have helped me with good deals. I'm grateful for that and will definitely pay it forward when I can. It's guys like that that help keep the market in equilibrium.

      I'm not so much worked up over the toys, they're just toys. I just get frustrated with people sometimes, hahaha.

      Delete