Saturday, December 1, 2012

Interlude: Tonfas


Both NOM 4th and 27 have batons, why doesn't it's older brethren, Barguest, have one? With that thought in mind, I decided to make a simple pair of tonfas for Barguest.

Tonfas are made of wood, hence I went back to my wood dowels that I used for the battleaxe project.

The basic construction was simple and didn't take long to figure out. I measured the length of the dowel to Barguest's forearm, making sure that the weapon length would have some wood sticking out past his elbow and knuckles like an actual tonfa. The excess was sawed off and used as the handle.


I generally dislike working with glue and putty, partly because I'm terrible at it, so I went Ikea style. Drilling two holes with a hobby drill, I used a shaved-off toothpick as the peg instead.


After drilling, I used a curved metal file to shape the top end of the handle so it would fit the main stick a little better.


Taking care not to shave the toothpick too thin, I then hammered it in using the butt of my boxcutter.


There were still some gaps in between as I was too lazy to file it clean, so I resorted to a quick fix homemade putty to fill up the holes - superglue + talcum powder. A little sanding and painting later, the gaps are no longer visible. I've also wrapped up the handles with masking tape and will weather it another time. 


Barguest wielding some action shots with it. I realised a single tonfa works better as his pistol hand can't grip the other tonfa at all.

Stand back! Don't make me shoot!

Dual-wielding.


Tonfa holstered but ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment