Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Blanco Negro TK SBV

One of the fun things of having TKYOs lying around is that I have no hesitation taking them apart for customs. Running out of OG heads though. Hoping I can get my hands on a few more to do some Interlopers. 

Anyway, the moment I saw the DIYs, I knew I had to do a Blanco/Negro or Shadow/Light pair. Since the Blanco/Negro pair is the easier one of the two (no jackets, clean and unweathered), I got to work on them.



While Blanco was fairly easy, just a simple kitbash, Negro needed a bit more work. I decided to match and invert the DIY colour scheme, so the body had to painted black, but have gray accents for the hair and gloves. Fortunately, there's nothing a little masking can't do. Used modelling tape to mask off areas of the gloves to remain black, while the fingers were left open to be painted.


For the body, I used Tamiya matt black, which came out surprisingly good! The paint adheres well even in joint areas despite me being too lazy to coat with primer first. Only the visible areas were painted though, Negro is still pretty much Asian under his shirt.


Facial hair on the face also had to be masked out and spray painted on. Used the same modelling tape on an the DIY tape to trace the facial hair shape, then cut it out and transferred the mask onto the Negro's.


Now, the shoes! After the previous (undocumented) disastrous experience to handpaint my TKYO shoes purple, I decided to go the spraypaint route this time. And what a better experience it was! Masking and spraying took a much faster time than handbrushing multiple coats of paint and still getting an uneven result. Look how smooth and even the shoes are with spraypaint! The only downside was that I didn't get into all the areas and there are little bits of red peeking through, though not really visible unless scrutinised closely.


Here's the handsome Negro TK on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment