Thursday, November 15, 2012

Custom Tanto

Ever since I read an article on Radtoyreview regarding DIY custom katanas, I had been itching to try some. Here's the fruit of one whole morning of labour.

The initial blank after cutting from the styrene board.

Originally, I wanted to make a kodachi/tanto set with sheathes for my Queeny or other TQs, but decided to start small with just a simple unsheathed tanto. The blank was hand drawn after estimating the dimensions based on Oyaloper's wakizashis and sizing down. I have no TQ swords to match against at the moment, although I suspect the handles, at least, would size differently.

Initially, I thought this would be pretty quick and easy to make. But I soon realised that it was not so simple to cut styrene neatly. At first I started with a penknife, but it took too long to score the 2mm sheet and I soon resorted to a pair of scissors instead, yielding ugly cuts.

Shaved and filed some more.

Shaving and filing was another issue. I realised my sandpaper wasn't low grit enough and it would take awhile to file. Using a blade however, required steady hands which I lacked. Hence the unsteady cuts. I suspect this will improve over time though, once I get a sanding board instead to facilitate the sharpening of the knife blade, as well as more practice with the blade.

Sprayed with Tamiya Silver Leaf.

Wrapped with yellow masking tape as a quick fix.

The end result - a tanto that looks more like a shank. I'll probably attempt to paint and weather it subsequently, but here's the prototype for now. Here's Oyaloper modelling it until a TQ comes along to claim it.

Turns out it's a little too thin for Oyaloper to hold it in its normal sword holding hands, but fits one of the closed fist hands.

Up to no good.

Just saying hi!

I'm not hiding anything!

Money or life!

Handphone shot. Camera battery ran out.

Die!!!!

There's something about the knife or the pose angles that doesn't look quite right. Need to play around with it more when I have the time and see what's wrong. Otherwise, it's a good start. Not perfect, but still something. Hahaha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment