Monday, November 19, 2012

Half Moon Battleaxe

After the previous tanto project, I decided to embark on a slightly more ambitious one - a half-moon battleaxe for Wasabi. Drawing on the previous experience, I went out to get myself better equipment and materials, including a metal files set, some wood dowels and hollow styrene tubes. 


Again, the blanks were hand-drawn on a piece of styrene sheet and cut out with a pair of scissors. Still haven't figured out a more efficient way to do this, as cutting with a blade takes too long to slice through 2mm of styrene, while I'm afraid scoring the sheet first and snapping it off may end up damaging the curved parts.


After that, the tedious filing work begins. The metal files fortunately proved to be much more efficient at sanding away the styrene material and controlling the angles. I'm not a fan of glue, so the two pieces of the axe head are inserted into slots cut in the sides of the styrene tube and held there simply by tension. The wood dowel is shaved enough to insert the hollow tube over. 


My camera battery died on me, so a quick snap of Wasabi wielding his new toy was taken with my phone. More photos to come once I paint up the axe and the tanto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment